top of page

Help & advice

What to do when a loved one Dies.

The first steps are to see the guides along with our information to help inform you of the process involved in administering probate yourself and how long it can take, for example, if you are busy at work and are not allowed to make calls or do personal tasks, the hours available are daytime to obtain records, information, accounts, investments, assets and Business affairs, if there was no will to direct the distribution of funds for Inheritance purposes.

This Guide aims to offer practical help and links, and support during this time helping you to know quickly and easily the steps if you so choose to do it yourself, DIY probate option.

Get the medical certificate (death certificate) from the doctor or hospital to begin the process.

Do this straight away, the certificate details are the cause of death and it is required to register the death of a loved one. The GP or hospital will issue the certificate.

Register a death

Ask for additional copies of the death certificate, reason, Banks, Investments, Lenders, credit cards, may need to see an original, not a copy. The cost is £1.50 per copy worth getting at least 5 certificates.

Plan the Funeral

Usually within 2 weeks of your loved one's passing, unless there is an inquest.

There are different ways to arrange a funeral.

If directed by a will, then the executor can organize on behalf of the deceased.

If there is no pre-paid funeral plan or insurance policy you can apply from the loved ones' savings or bank account.

The Funeral cost invoice is given to the Bank to pay the funeral director to direct from the account.

The average costs for a funeral are £1500+ for cremation and £4500 - 10,000 for a burial.

One reading the instructions of applying to obtain probate and deal with the deceased estate, you can decide if asking us to Administer your probate would be a simpler hassle-free option.

Our team of Step qualified solicitors and estate administrators will be assigned to handle the case and all the steps to ensure the beneficiaries obtain their inheritance after debts, IHT taxes, etc paid.

The first thing to do is the following

Who do you notify first?

In the first five days you must do the following:

  • Notify the deceased’s, family Doctor.

  • Contact a Funeral Director to commence funeral arrangements. You will also need to check any Will for any special requests or prepaid Funeral arrangements that have may have already been made.

  • Register the death at The Registry Office.

  • Advise any departments who may have been making payments to the deceased, such as Tax Credits, benefits, pensions, etc.

As soon as possible you should:

  • Contact the Executors of any Will to enable them to start the process of obtaining Probate.

  • If there is no Will you should decide who will apply to sort out the deceased’s affairs and apply for Letters of Administration.

With a Will (grant of probate)

Letter of administration - without a will

Letter of Administration - with annexed will

Register the death online service

If you feel you want to attempt to do it yourself, i.e there is no will, there is no executor appointed to handle the wishes of the deceased. The forms are below for easy reference. Rather than you searching around the net for guides they are below and can feel an overwhelming process to do yourself.

How the Government divides the assets if there is no will to direct the wishes of the deceased.

What do to when someone is gone?

The process to deal with someone's affairs after they have gone.

if you need help locating or finding a will

The role of the Executor or administrator of the estate once you have a Death certificate

is decide if you are administering or going to use a company like our service to do the duty on your behalf.

A quick Checklist to-do list (if doing it yourself)

Financial Organisations

· Banks

· Building societies

· Loan providers

· Credit cards

· Shares

· Investment managers

· Life assurance policy providers

· Pension providers

Government Department

· HM Revenue & customs

· DWP Department of work & pensions

· Child Benefit

· Tax credit office

· Post office

· Passport Office

· Driver Vehicle license agency



· Dentist

Council Services

· Council tax

· Social Services

· Council housing if renting

· Electoral register

Utility companies

· Gas

· Electricity

· Water

Home services

· Home insurances

· Car insurance

· Landline phone

· Mobile number

· Broadband

· TV subscriptions


· Solicitors

· Accountants

· Social/community groups

We know this is a sensitive delicate time for all those involved in the grieving process there are useful advice and links for

Where to go for support Support through the grieving process is available for family and friends from a wide range of organizations: BereavementUK, Age UK, The Samaritans, Cruse Bereavement Care, (for England, Northern Ireland, and, Wales)

18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Why should your Business be written into your will?

Business wills Many Advantages and benefits to how you set up your Business, and what is right for you, for example being a Sole Traders, to say running Limited companies Small, medium and large corpo

Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page